13 December, 2005

A Short Meditation

Sometimes getting back to the simple things of the Christian faith give us the encouragement to continue and to press on towards the goal; which is spending eternity at the feet of the Savior.
One of my favorite meditations is that of the first question and answer of the Heidelberg Catechism. This statement is so well known in the Reformed community that very few really take the time to meditate upon it. Take a few minutes and talk to yourself before God about this statement. There are so many great truths that are revealed in this poetic statement; truths that reveal God's loving character as well as our state before our Savior Jesus Christ.

There will be no Discussion Points, but please meditate upon this for a minute or two and comment on what impression it gives you concerning your faith in Christ. Question 1: What is your only comfort in life and in death?

Answer 1: That I, with body and soul, both in life and in death, am not my own, but belong to my faithful Savior Jesus Christ, who with His precious blood has fully satisfied for all my sins, and redeemed me from all the power of the devil; and so preserves me, that without the will of my Father in heaven not a hair can fall from my head; indeed, that all things must work together for my salvation. Wherefore, by His Holy Spirit, He also assures me of eternal life, and makes me heartily willing and ready from now on to live unto Him.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent quote. Christis the only thing we should live for. When things aren't going so well and trials come our way, we can rest in the hope of the life we have to come. We can praise him when things go well because they are a gift from him. Without him, we would all be damned to hell and get the punishment of his wrath. We can praise him that by his grace, he gave use the gift of his salvation.
Beth

NPE said...

Beth

I am glad that you have become a regular on this blog. In my usually not so humble opinion, I think that it is time that you set up a blogger ID. It is quite simple. Click in the upper corner where it says get your own blog. Then follow the steps. You never really have to blog, but it at least gives you an identity that is more than the anonymous. (Plus you can add a great picture as your representative!)

Thanks for the comment.

Anonymous said...

How wonderful to know that our God is sovereign over all things, even to the (sometimes fading) hairs on our head, and that, because we are joined to Him, God works out all things for our good.

Penumbra said...

Word verification is confusing..

I remember when I first memorized this question and answer in Sunday school. It didn't have nearly as much meaning to me then as now. Goes to show the importance of memorization.