02 September, 2008

The Scottish Invasion of West Michigan

This past Lord's Day I had the privilege of preaching at Westminster Reformed Presbyterian Church. While I was away from my home congregation, some good things occurred: a couple from our congregation got married (congratulations to Aaron and Meg), Dr. David Murray of the Free Church of Scotland (continuing) filled our pulpit, and we had Rev. Bert Pohl, also from the FCS(c) visiting our congregation (might I add that Bert was the loudest typer while we were in seminary together- he could POUND those keys!). Why do all the good things happen while I am away?

Here are some links that address the above paragraph:
Also, the newest congregation of the Free Church is right here in Canton, Michigan! Check out their site here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a question that I mean very seriously and that I'm not asking just to be a stinker: why is the Free Church (Continuing) seeking to establish a new, indigenous denomination in North America? Are there no faithful Reformed denominations in North America already, or is it not in ecclesiastical fellowship with any of them? (I'm afraid I don't know much about the FCS(C).)

NPE said...

They are in ecclesiastical fellowship with a few that I know of: Free Reformed Church, Heritage Reformed Churches, the RPCNA/I/S (in Scotland).

As far as why they are planting here- I am not sure, you would have to ask them. I have talked about this to some degree with one of their ministers, and he believes that it is very important to plant here- and without the nation having an 'established' church, it really is mission territory in his opinion.

Other than that- I would say talk to them via their website to get an answer.

On another note, they are not sectarian like many micro-presbys. They are very gracious men and have a big view of the church of Jesus Christ.

Does that help?

Esteban Vázquez said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Yes, it does help. Thanks, Nathan! The point about there not being a national "established" church is interesting. Also, it is refreshing to hear that they stay away form sectarianism and have an embracing view of the Church; the opposite is usually the undoing of "micro-Presbys," as you delightfully call them.

As you know, I have no stake in this, but I Gerstner on schism always comes to mind when I heard of such things.