27 August, 2007

Puritan Seminary... Here We Go Again!

Today I started my last year of seminary training before I "get into the trenches", as a friend from college said. It was a good day of beginnings. There are a number of fresh faces who are new to the whole experience.

Today I was reflecting on my first semester and how terrified I was. I thought that the men who were almost finished knew SO MUCH more than me. Now I see, being on this side, that there is so much more to learn than I ever imagined. Seminary should not make any man proud of his accomplishments- it should humble him, knowing that, at best, he stands on the shoulders of giants.

We began the day with a luncheon of faculty and students. We also had a great time of giving our testimonies. We were to say who we are, where we 'have been', and where we are going. It was a refreshing time of seeing the work of the Lord in the lives of fellow men who love Christ, have a high view of His Word, and a love for 'the fathers' of the faith.

Dr. Bilkes gave a great devotion to begin the year that was especially applied to ministry students. It was taken from Mark 7, with special emphasis on verse 34:

And they bring unto him one that was deaf, and had an impediment in his speech; and they beseech him to put his hand upon him. And he took him aside from the multitude, and put his fingers into his ears, and he spit, and touched his tongue; And looking up to heaven, he sighed, and saith unto him, Ephphatha, that is, Be opened. And straightway his ears were opened, and the string of his tongue was loosed, and he spake plain. v.32-35

"Your ears and your tongue are things that the Lord is claiming for sacred ministry"
1. Know your need for ephphatha grace.
2. Pray daily and seek greatly for ephphatha grace.
3. Use ephphatha grace for the Glory of the Son of God.

Brothers and sisters, dear readers, I stand humbled to have the privledge of studying at Puritan. Pray for me as I begin my last year of seminary. May the Lord raise up many men who will be faithful to the Word of God, have a great love for the Son, and a burden for the Bride.

2 comments:

Mark said...

Congratulations, it's pretty exciting to be going into your last year. I'll be praying it goes well for ya.

Rachel said...

We'd be concerned if thought you knew it all at this point. ;)