27 February, 2010

The Gospel According to... Bono?

Sometimes the Gospel message comes out in the most unusual of places. I don't know where Bono's heart is, of course, but I do think that I could sign my name to this statement.

Here is Bono's take on grace.

At the center of all religions is this idea of Karma. You know, what you put out comes back to you... Yet along comes this idea called Grace to upend all that... Love interrupts the consequences of your actions, which in my case is very good news indeed, because I have done a lot of stupid stuff... It doesn't excuse my mistakes, but I'm holding out for Grace. I'm holding out that Jesus took my sins on the Cross, because I know who I am, and I hope I don't have to depend on my own religiosity. -Interview from 2005. Quoted by Gene Edward Veith, 'Salty Dogma'.

And so that you have some praise to go with a good quote: Here is Bono's rendition of Psalm 40:


No comments: